18 January 2009

"Glamorous" by FERGIE

The song "Glamorous" by Fergie represents how some people live and how some people fantasize about living. I get the impression that this song is portraying the way that certain people live. Some people don’t have any money; they will never experience the pleasures and events that happen in a rock star life. I am obviously not Fergie and I don’t always fly first class, and I don’t have chaperons and limousines taking me places. I live in the real world where I have to work, I can’t just sing a few songs that other people have written for me and make a million plus dollars. I go to college, I work, I worry about bills, and how I will fend for myself in the future. Sometimes I wish that I didn’t have to worry about things but on the other hand I think that I learn a lot from it and it overall makes me a stronger person. I think that this artifact reaches out to the empire. It is glorifying worldly pleasures such as : money, fame, etc. This artifact gives me no hope; the one hope is that if I ever were to become famous I would be able to look forward to living the high life. But what comes after that? This song doesn’t say anything about the real world, and about what the focuses should really be about. I think that this artifact tells a lot about some of the origins of sin. Some people get so overwhelmed with money and fame and the glories of the world that they don’t stop to realize what life is truly about. I guess one way you could relate this song to the Bible would be the story of the prodigal song. He asked for all the money that was entitled for him and he left. He decided to live the high life until he was out of money and had nothing left. Are the people that make a lot of money and spend it on worldly pleasures truly happy, or are they just happy for that time being?

2 comments:

  1. "Glamorous" is one of those songs that I like because of its sound but not because of it's words. It glorifies a superficial life that few people will ever know. I think that many people dream of the life that Fergie sings about, but all of the dreaming seems a little pointless. It's important to find our identity in the Lord and the things of the Kingdom. I really like that you identified the temptations of the Empire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting song to examine (in some ways). On the one hand, Fergie tries to suggest in the lyrics that she's still the same person despite fame and fortune; however, she seems to glamorize fame and fortune in the music video. So ... what's she trying to do here?

    ReplyDelete