21 January 2010

Guido Beach

The television show Jersey Shore has swept the nation collecting millions of fans and tons of attention. The show features four guys and four girls who live on the jersey shore for an entire summer. Mike, "the situation," DJ Pauly D, Ronnie, and Vinny are four self obsessed East-coasters who love to drink and have sex with girls every night. The female portion consists of Angelina, Jenni, "J-wow," Nicole, "Snookie," and Sammi, "Sweet Heart" who are equally as obsessed with their appearance and individual needs.
When I first watched the show I was not surprised that MTV had produced another filthy reality show. I continued to watch and I was astonished at how ridiculous the characters were acting. I found that was laughing at how absurd and totally worldly their mind sets were. I began to enjoy the show as an exaggeration of the evil world that we live in. Everything they were saying was incredibly stubborn and illogical They represent everything that is wrong with this world and the empire that controls us. The entire cast from Jersey Shore are products, or children of "mother empire." They live lives full of sin and self fulfillment. I would like to believe that MTV is hosting this show as a form of comedy rather than drama but I don't think the world is that fortunate. Instead, millions of teenage Americans will take this show seriously, adore the characters and replicate the purely self destructive lives which are portrayed on this sad show. Discussion Questions,
1.) What do you think about the messages that this show is giving to American youth?
2.) Do you think this show is a distinct development of the empire?

3 comments:

  1. Good observations, Graham. It's interesting to distinguish between what you're getting out of the show and what MTV may be intending. I'm glad you have the ability to see through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I really think about why I find Jersey Shore so attention grabbing and interesting, I realize it is because these young adults are living such a wasteful, self-fulfilling life that has no purpose whatsoever. Pretty much everything that goes on in this show goes against the Kingdom of God, which is pretty sad. But I realized that is why I find it somewhat humorous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that no one takes this show seriously. It is clearly an over exaggeration of a stereotype given to some east coast Italians. These people know they are being filmed and will do whatever they have to do to get their 15 minutes of fame. It sad that our society finds that it is necessary to do these things for people to be entertained. Hopefully people watching will be able to realize that this lifestyle is not useful. But I will admit, I enjoy watching this show because of its ridiculousness.

    ReplyDelete