11 January 2012

"Good Hair" Dorm Film Post

On Monday night some classmates and I watched, “Good Hair.” I will be completely honest, being the only bi-racial girl in the group I was really nervous to go see this film and I had my doubts as to how my fellow classmates would react. I am pleased to report that the dorm film experience was informative, friendly, and not at all awkward.

After Chris Rock’s daughter asked him why she didn’t have good hair, Chris took on the journey across the world to gather information on the pressures put on African American women as they strive to get the stereotypical “good hair”. This movie is a funny commentary yet a well-researched study about the true racist attitudes towards African American’s hair and what it has caused. My perspective of this movie was thoroughly influenced by my own ethnicity. I myself have asked my mother why I had to get the type of hair I have instead of her silky blond hair. I am an African- American and Caucasian mix and therefore have incredibly curly hair that comes with similar pressures and insecurities that African American women in this movie face. I was so shocked to watch about the amount of time, energy, money, and pain women got through on a weekly basis to get their hair from its natural “nappy” state to “good” quality, or straight. Women can do this by getting their hair relaxed which is a chemical process that is time-consuming, expensive, painful, and unhealthy for your hair. Processes like this start at the young age of only three years old. Chris Rock also does research on weaves and how very expensive they are and where the hair comes form. The information was simply appalling.

After reading several film reviews I saw how the general public viewed this film. One critique, Jenifer Merrin, stated that according to the film, “People with 'good hair' (i.e. straight hair) get better jobs, are more popular, and have better sex lives. On the flip side, 'Nappy' hair is ugly. 'Nappy' hair is also black.” Statements like this are sad but this is indeed the theme that the movie portrays to its audience. Another reviewer, Jeannette Catsoulis says, “One of the happy consequences of “Good Hair” should be a radical increase in white-women’s empathy for their black sisters.” Being mixed I do know what it is like to be defined by your hair. In this movie good hair is defined as straight hair and the implications of this give into a billion dollar industry. This film certainly opened my eyes and I vow to not be judgmental of African American women’s hair now that I know the severity of what they have to go through in order to avoid judgment.

3 comments:

  1. Eena, I thought your approach on this film was very insightful and interesting to read as you could relate to many of the girls in the film. I think when you are able to do that it brings the feelings and emotions towards the film to a much more personal level. This makes for much better commentary which you were able to offer towards this film. I also think the way you are able to appreciate both your hair and girls in the film was really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a dorm film that interested me so I watched the trailer for "Good Hair" on youtube. In the side bar options was an episode from the Tyra Banks show called "What is Good Hair?" She interviewed many African American women about their hair and what they thought 'good hair' was. The majority of the women believed loose, curly, relaxed hair is beautiful. There were women on the show who begin chemically relaxing their daughter's hair at age three. So of course, this girl has poor self esteem, and only feels good about her self when her hair is relaxed and straight. One stylist commented that "If you have hair on your head, that's good hair." That is such a simple comment, yet so hard to get in that mindset. Why? Because of everything media says about 'good hair.' My own hair is very curly and thick and a bad hair day is when it is frizzy and poofy. Why is this bad? Because media consistently shows desirable hair as sleek, shiny, soft and straight. I love my hair and everyone finds their own style, but it is such a shame that we have to feel like we need to change our hair in order to look acceptable and good.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad this film discussion went well. Thank you for your keen insights, Eena. This reminds me of a photo I saw recently of a friend who lives far away--it's only taken her thirty years of her life to learn to appreciate her huge, beautiful, curly head of hair. She's rocking it! And she looks so confident and happy.

    Let's not ignore that this beauty pressure for soft, relaxed hair is directly related to Western European conquests and enslavement over the past centuries. Remember how we talked in class about the Andrew Bird songs and how conquerors seek to suppress the culture of the conquered? People with red hair ("gingers") are still looked down upon in England because of England's oppression of the Irish. And a friend of ours who works in the area of anti-racist organizing would say that the pressure women of color feel to have "whiter" hair is a form of internalized racist oppression--or an internal belief that you're not good enough if you're not white. Another book that gets at this idea really well from a Native American male angle is The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.

    Anyway, keep up the good work of dismantling the empire by embracing your natural beauty! :)

    ReplyDelete