21 January 2013

Artifact 2



Splendor In The Glass – Pink Martini
I can see you are thinking baby
I’ve been thinking too
About the way we used to be
And how to start a new
Maybe I’m a hopeless dreamer
Maybe I’ve got it wrong
But I’m going where the grass is green
If you’d like to come along
Back when I was starting out
I always wanted more
But every time I got it
I still felt just like before
Fortune is a fickle friend
I’m tired of chasing fate
And when I look into your eyes
I know you feel the same
All these years of living large
Are starting to do a sin
 I won’t say it wasn’t fun
But now it has to end
Life is moving oh so fast
I think we should take it slow
Rest our heads upon the grass
And listen to it grow
Going where the hills are green
And the cars are few and far
Days are full of splendor
And at night you can see the stars
Life’s been moving oh so fast
I think we should take it slow
Rest our heads upon the grass
And listen to it grow

This is a song which made me think about my life and how it is busy. The lyrics are so good.

This song lyrics are talks about how we live our life so fast so we don’t even know other thing that we don’t care about. In this song, the person wants to go where the grass is growing and where cars are few and slow. So I think that places are redemption for this song writer.

God doesn’t told us to live busy. Where the grass is growing and where the cars are few and slow is God’s kingdom. It doesn’t mean that the place we live is not the kingdom but in those peaceful places, we can more think about God and rest. Like God rested on the seventh day. This song writer wants to go to that place and take a rest.

Questions.
After you read this lyric or listen to the song, what did you thought of?
Is this song made you feel like you are living in too fast life?
What should we do to live our life slowly?

2 comments:

  1. Reading the lyrics really challenged me to slow down more. I agree with you in that it's easier to think about God and rest when we slow down and just be still. It's hard to find places like that where cars are few and slow, where we can listen to the grass grow and where the hills are green. This song seems to be attacking modern society where everything is so fast and people have become so impatient. I remember so vividly in Uganda sitting under a mango tree and enjoying the cool breeze that kept the heat off my mind. Everything around me was so calm. Then in just a few years everything changed. I went back to the same mango tree and not only was everything around me constantly moving and shifting, but also i was restless just sitting under that mango tree and not doing anything. It surely is amazing how much the world has changed in less than a decade. Even the slightest change in a comfortable environment can alter the way we think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a time for work and a time for rest, that's for sure. But we shouldn't think that to rest we need to get away from cities and people. Often, we unconsciously think of people and culture as the source of our anxiety (and this song seems to concur). Is this true? Sometimes, depending on the situation, the environment and the person. But often we're belying an anti-cultural bias. And I think that then influences the way we approach the busyness of cities and communities.

    I'm not suggesting that going out into the woods to be alone is bad. I'd simply like to make sure we're doing so in the context of a balanced life that holds community as crucial for human well-being.

    ReplyDelete