10 January 2013

Good Hair

http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/10/09/movies/09hair.html?_r=0


This New York Times review of Good Hair pretty accurately describes my reaction to the film. I thought Chris Rock brought up many interesting facts and showed a good look into the industry of hair. However I was slightly let down by the film, because Rock brought light to many problematic practices but offered no solutions. The entire feel of the film seemed too light and humorous for the severity of the problem it was addressing. Some of the problematic things Chris Rock brought up but offered no solution to was the practice of applying “creamy crack” or relaxing to the scalps of young black girls and adults and the expensive, high maintenance hair product weaves. Another issue Rock raised was the fact that African Americans make up 20% of the population but make up 80% of the hair market consumers. Yet they do not own many of the hair companies. Mostly Asians and Caucasians own these companies and manufactures. So black people spend the most money on hair products but Asians and white people profit from hair products. I would have enjoyed the film more if it would have offered some solutions to the audience instead of just leaving us with a big issue and no proper way to respond to it. As far as how this film has prompted me to make changes in my life, I think as a white person my only response can be trying to change the false idea that white is right and acknowledge the extent that white privilege affects my life. Having white-looking hair should not influence whether or not someone gets an interview or a job.  

1 comment: