08 January 2013

Ingrid Michaelson's Human Again



I recently listened to Ingrid Michaelson's newest album "Human Again" for my first cultural artifact. Because Ingrid is my favorite female artist I decided to go with something that I knew well. Music has always been my passion. I grew up with a musical family and they instilled in me a love for all types of music from hymns to indie folk. When I heard that Ingrid Michaelson was coming to Calvin I knew that I had to go (in fact I was so excited I think I was 7th in line to buy tickets!). Her fifth studio album "Human Again" was released in January 2012. Ingrid interviewed with saying "...I keep writing more songs so that's kind of a good thing, because I keep creating new things...". This album is a collection of her best skills: writing and creating music that speaks to most everyone that wants to hear it.
"Sitting in the back of the bus. Talkin' 'bout nothing, we were talkin' 'bout us. Watching as the world goes hammering on, hammering on" begins the song "Do it Now". This song talks about how the world is twisted up with idea that everything must be done right now. She repeats "Do it right now" many times throughout the song, hence the title. I believe that Ingrid wants to show us that everything can happen when it's supposed to. It does not have to be rushed because that is how the world is functioning now. Another song of note is "Blood Brothers". Even though many of the lyrics are repeated, it makes for a strong of message. I think Ingrid is trying to highlight s the fact that part of being human and having a purpose is to create relationships that connect us. Even though there is a lot of diversity and not one person is alike, it creates a sense of intentional togetherness. Eventually the kingdom of God will be formed and everyone that believes will be accepted. The intentional community will not be in vain.

  • Does Ingrid Michaelson want to instill in us an idea that everyone is invited to partake in culture? 
  • When do her lyrics seem pressing toward a direction of community and togetherness? 
  • When does Ingrid's personal pain come out and seem to resonate with you (specifically in her hit "Ghost"?)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing about one of your favorite artists, Hannah. I like Ingrid Michaelson, too. It would be interesting to know what she would say about starting our class in silence, given the thoughts in "Do It Now." I'd encourage you to consider what she's doing with her music, as well as her lyrics. How do the sounds of her songs reinforce or contradict the lyrics?

    ReplyDelete