16 January 2013

King Corn



From organic and non-G MO report view on King Corn, it perspective and my perspective on the film are mostly similar. We live in a world, where corn is pretty much us, in fact if this keeps up corn maybe omnipresent in everything we see. Who knows? It may be possible.  There are issues that corn is in everything and there is a good reason why, because we have so much corn that people weren’t sure what to do with the excess amount of corn, except to convert it to thing we want, such as fast food and other luxuries. Even in beef production, we want beef and we would like to quick. So the companies that do this try to plump up their cows and reduce their exercise to meet our demands for beef, even though this is hazardous to everyone. 
From that I remembered one of Wendell Berry’s works “Bringing it to the Table,” that was against this type of farming. He said that we don’t need tractors or spraying anhydrous ammonia fertilizer or spraying herbicides. We just need to practice true husbandry to the land and the animals to get the most benefits to the farm.  Despite what Wendell Berry said before, farmers at Iowa do need the money to survive since we live in a world of capitalism. Companies and the government forces the farmers to submit to the rule of capitalism and sell and sell huge amount of corn to keep up the demands that we, the citizens, want.  This film did bring a concern to me whenever I eat at the dining halls, since corn is in almost everything. So from this film, I will need to be more aware of the food I need to eat, before I become a living corn.

http://www.non-gmoreport.com/articles/mar08/King_Corn_film.php

3 comments:

  1. Good thoughts there Joseph. Who would have known that in almost everything we eat, corn is present? After reading your post, it really intrigued me. Was the diet I'm eating a healthy one? How much corn is my body getting each day? It shocked me of how ignorant we were. I mean how could we have not known what we were eating, where it was coming from, and how it was made. This showed me of how the empire is in control of our lives to a state that we do not even know what we are eating. I agree with you that we have to practice true husbandry. We have been exploiting too much stuff from earth without taking much care of it. From now on, I'll have to be more careful and be more aware of eating a healthy diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Joseph, Become a living corn? funny. From your report, i learned a lot more about this movie "King Corn" and also your comments made me thought about how much i have to be aware about what i eat and what is the food that i eat is made out of. Because i don't want to become a living corn either:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is certainly interesting imagining a new (old?) kind of farming in light of the unintended consequences of the industrial model we've been practicing for the last 60 years or so. Wendell Berry is certainly a leading voice and, thankfully, there are a number of farmers who are going back to older practices in an attempt to farm in better harmony with the land.

    ReplyDelete