25 January 2009

The Devil Wears Prada

Over the weekend I watched the Devil Wears Prada. This movie is about a girl that wants to be a journalist. She needs to do some other work before she can do this. Andrea (Anne Hathaway) gets offered a job to work for a very big clothing designer. At first she just doesn’t fit in to this new type of lifestyle, but soon she figures out ways to start fitting in. She changes her image, look, and some of her relationships.
After viewing the movie I think that this artifact is trying to display that in order to be happy or get where you want to get you need to do anything possible so that you can fit in. I think that it shows that the human purpose it to simply be able to make other people happy and do what you need to get far into this world. I think that a lot of people get so worked up over such petty little things. I have a lot of friends who just care about their clothes and the way that they look. Life has so much more to offer than stuff that only betters your image. We are created in the image of God, not in the image of designer clothes and mass amounts of makeup. Media, music and magazines have such a big influence on young girls of today. I know that in my case whenever I see a new beauty product or gorgeous model I try to improve my self-image.
There are some examples in this movie that prove that this is an empirical artifact. One example would be when image takes a turn for the worst. She begins to make the empire more important than her boyfriend. She begins seeing clothes as more than clothes but as fashion. She is also willing to do anything to make her way in the empire.

2 comments:

  1. I also have seen The Devil Wears Proda and I agree with the statements that you made. Watching the movie I mentally reprimanded the main character for the way she conforms to society, but I don't think that I am any better and I don't think that I would be able to stay the same if I were in her situation. So many times her boyfriend told her to get out of there and quit if she hated her job so much. She was torn on whether or not to quit or keep working for the hopes to make it big someday. She eventually ended up doing the right thing, which makes the movie have a happy ending, but is that the way it should be? So many times we live such a crude lifestyle knowing that we will ask for forgiveness later on in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before you consider this film a purely imperial artifact, consider whether it's telling the truth about the brokenness it portrays. Does Andrea find true happiness in fashion? Not really, which might speak more to Kingdom values than imperial values. Also, the scene we watched in class about the belt is pretty key--it shows us that we can't escape the empire just by ignoring it. In fact, ignoring it plays right into its hands.

    ReplyDelete