25 January 2009

Joyful blindness

On Tuesday 20th, I went to see the Blind Boys of Alabama. I have to admit that two days before the presentations I had no idea who this Southern Gospel group was. But I knew they had won a Grammy so I went to youtube.com and listened to some of their music. I loved it! I decided to buy my ticket and go. The concert was beautiful. The Blind Boys of Alabama definitely know hot to put into music their emotions and feelings, and what is more meaningful: they know how to transmit the message and capture the audience.

While I was sitting (the first half of the concert), the first thing that assailed my mind was that the Blind Boys of Alabama are certainly blind. But in their blindness appear to be the most joyful people I have ever seen. I could actually feel that joy running all through my body. The second feeling that came into my mind was that there are thousands of things to be happy about, but most of the times we don’t see them. And yet the Blind Boys see them, and perhaps more clearly than we do. And third, this thought stuck into my mind: How are we affecting the lives of other surrounding us? What things are we doing to create an atmosphere of freedom?

I have to admit that while watching them singing I was feeling completely useless. God has given me everything I need and yet I am not even close to show the joy the Blind Boys embodied.

1 comment: