24 January 2010

Mall Post

Because I must fit into the male stereotype, I typically go to the mall only when necessary and make the trip as short as possible. Though the idea of going to the mall just for the sake of looking around made me sick, once inside, the smell of the Auntie Anne's pretzels and refreshing look of Surf City Squeeze's smoothies tingled my senses and I began to reach for my wallet, it was dinner time and the emptiness of my stomach seemed to justify the purchase. Suddenly I snapped to my senses when Chris pointed out that we were there to observe how corporations and advertisers control our minds. Ashamed I put away my wallet and we continued on our ADventure. Once I was in the right mindset, the advertisements seemed humorous, as if we had been more enlightened than the shoppers who were sucked into stores by the deals that seemed great that they offered. The picture shown made me think of a type of advertising that I give in to easily. Advertisers will claim that a deal is only for a limited amount of time or that there is a limited quantity of the product. Websites such as chainlove.com or WhiskeyMilitia.com which give a huge discount on an item for around 30 minutes pressure me into buying things that I really wouldn't bother with otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment