24 January 2010

Webkinz


Webkinz is the current popular trend of stuffed animals that is sweeping across the world. If you don't know what Webkinz are, just think of Beanies Babies with an online counterpart. Once you buy a Webkinz (prices ranges depending on the size you get), you go onto the online website to enter the secret code, which is featured on the tag, to get a chance to enter the mystical online world of Webkinz. In this world, you get to play with your pet(s) with online games, activities, chatting, and play in your own "house", do jobs, and many more. It's almost like a community!

I chose Webkinz for this journal post because of the documentary we watched in class last Monday where they had a section of how the children’s whining is like the company's gain. Even though Webkinz doesn't advertise on television, Webkinz get most of their sales due to word of mouth. One example I can think of this kind of advertising is with my sister. My sisteleer would bring in one of her Webkinz to school to show it to her friends. In turn, her friends would go home and whine/beg that they need a Webkinz in order to be cool or play with my sister. (I have to say, my sister has a pure talent at whining because every time she begs or whines for a Webkinz, my mom gives in and she gets one.)

But how does Webkinz fit in the struggle between the Empire vs. the Kingdom? Webkinz, like all other toys, have kind of confused the wants, desires, and needs of children. Like the documentary said, companies are targeting children at a young age in order to have their wants and needs be solely on the Empire/the companies. For example, the Empire would play on my sister's feelings of security, friendship, and the world of her imagination to make her want to buy these stuffed animals. We, as Christians, see this wrong because our wants, desires, and needs should be direct towards God. And it's especially keen for a child to know this concept because they are at the age that they are still learning about what is the fine line between right and wrong. One solution that we can combat this issue with is teaching our children at an early age what is they real needs, desires, and wants.

(I will admit that I am victim of Webkinz as I own thirteen. While, my sister owns over sixty (but I lost count a while ago). But, I am not obsessed like my sister because I mainly play the games to de-stress from studying and communicate/play with my sister and my cousins, who are many miles away. There is some good from the outcomes of the Empire.)


Discussion Questions:

1) What are some ways that the Christian community can do for children to combat the globalization of the Empire?

2) What are some reasons that God uses things like Webkinz in order to teach children about things like the fine ling between right and wrong?

-- Amy Braun

3 comments:

  1. I have babysat many kids who love Webkinz. I think its great that they have have something to love and to cherish but I also feel as though it takes time away from others and promotes the computer too much. When I was little, we went outside and played with our beanie babies or other toys and played with kids in the neighborhood. Now I feel as though some young kids, not all, rather be inside on the computer, by themselves. I know you can chat with others on the computer but it takes away from face-to-face socializing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Objects like Webkinz have been around for awhile. Toys like Furby, Pokémon, and Beanie Babies are ways for kids to communicate and have common ground. I remember in my youth, I was pretty much obsessed with Pokémon; I had to do as their slogan said and “catch them all”. From a Christian parents perspective, I don’t think that fads like this are necessarily bad for children, as long as they explain to their children the rights and wrongs of what they are asking for. No child wants just one Webkinz or Beanie Baby, so I think it’s important to teach children self-control when dealing with items such as those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic, Amy, and a good connection to The Corporation. Like everything, the light of the Kingdom and the darkness of sin run through Webkinz--as you, Lindsay and Cory pointed out. Parents really do need to protect their kids from being sold to corporate America through advertising. I've heard of parents who teach their kids to say, "I like that," instead of, "I want that" when they see something they're drawn to in a store, which seems like a good first step to me. It's also especially difficult when companies thrive on kids' sense of competition for stuff that brings relatively little benefit--"I have more Webkinz than you!" "More" becomes a virtue in itself. Seems pretty shameless of such companies.

    ReplyDelete