18 January 2012

American Idol

Tonight, I embraced my feminine side as I decided to partake in the viewing of the American Idol season 11 premiere. I watched the crazy Steven Tyler, beautiful Jennifer Lopez, and cool Randy Jackson examine America's up and coming singing talent as they graced across the stage. However, although this show brings plenty of entertainment, it also brings about plenty of insight on how America views people and what America perceives to be the norm of society.

While watching American Idol, I found many scenarios that could relate to the class and its topic of the Empire. The first thing I noticed is how America perceives physical beauty to be an important characteristic of any person. American Idol would continually showcase beautiful women such as NBA cheerleader Brittney Kerr and volleyball player Shannon McGrane. It was obvious that American Idol clearly admired these women's looks and were more than willing to show their audience what the ideal singer should look like. Also, American Idol depicted how Americans love to have fun at others' expense. With silly music in the background, the confident Joshua Chavis and African immigrant Mawena Kodjo were presented as dorks before they sang their songs terribly to America's amusement. I too found myself laughing at these men, succumbing to what the Empire wanted me to perceive as "just good fun." Finally, American Idol showcased how vulgar language has become a normal part of society. It almost felt like the viewer was hearing an alarm clock because of the many times Steven Tyler or an angry contestant would utter a swear world. For these reasons, American Idol relates heavily to what we are learning in class and I was glad I could realize these cultural dilemmas as I watched it.

1. What are other ideas on people that the Empire wants us to believe?

2. Do you believe American Idol is a show worth watching, despite its various representations of the Empire?

3. Do you believe that it is morally wrong to laugh at a struggling singer who is performing on American Idol? After all, you do not know them.

2 comments:

  1. I liked how you watched an episode of American Idol and connected it in so many ways to the things we are talking about in class. It's crazy to think how even such a simple thing such as a singing competition on TV can bring up moral and spiritual issues, such as the ones you mentioned in your post and your questions. As a woman, I am finding it harder and harder every day to resist the urges of the empire as far as how I look, what I wear and how much I weigh. I buy into these empire idealistics and forget that in the Kingdom of God, I am a beautiful daughter of God. To answer your first question, I believe that the empire wants us to believe that we are number one, that we can do it all by ourselves, and that we need to fit in with the latest trends that society is making in order to be a "good" person. As far as whether or not we as Christians should watch the show or not, just because there are representations of the empire, I think this is a major case of discernment and being able to watch something and not let it take over your beliefs or values and not pledging your alligience to it. I know it is SO easy to fall into an obsession with shows like this, or one that I was personally obsessed with during high school, Biggest Loser, but I think when it gets to the point of obsession, we need to rethink and refocus our priorities and allegiance. The empire is very good at tempting us into evil, in sly ways such as through TV shows or songs, and we need to be on the lookout for this. And finally, to answer your last question, I do not think it is EVER right to laugh at someone, no matter what the situation, because he or she is a person just like we are and does not deserve to be treated that way. I may be very radical in saying that, but I am very passionate about this situation and I am deeply hurt when I see others hurt because of someone laughing at them or teasing them. So even though we do not know these people on American Idol, and it is so easy to just laugh, and even if we accidentally slip sometimes, I still do not think it is right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good observations, Daniel and Kailey. But what are some of the systemic issues at play (other than beauty standards) in American Idol?

    Not only does the show produce massive advertising revenue, but it also has created an entire industry around the winners of the competition. The winner (and usually a runner-up or two) records an album, which is then marketed everywhere possible. All of a sudden, American Idol contestants are singing the National Anthem at sporting events -- primarily to sell music. And then there are the American Idol tours, which you'll need to buy a ticket for and where you're likely to purchase all kinds of cool American Idol swag.

    Just when you think it's over ... it's time for the next season! The cycle continues and we keep buying.

    ReplyDelete