18 January 2012

Capitalism: A Love Story

       Manohla Dargis of the New York Times wrote a review on the documentary film Capitalism: A Love Story by Michael Moore. It’s hard to say if she agrees with Michael Moore about the idea of Capitalism. But in the same way, Michael Moore doesn’t know what action to take to stop Capitalism. He’s just giving out facts and opinions. This is what Dargis is doing with her review. She claims that he has good timing and his heart is in the right place. She even says that some of the film is moving. I would have to agree with Dargis.
       Along with Dargis, and apparently Michael Moore, I’m not sure what to do about Capitalism. After this film, and some apocalyptic thought from this class, I know that if America continues down this path of greedy Capitalism, there won’t be much left of this Earth at the end of this century. I am disgusted with the Empire we live in, but I don’t know what actions to take to make our world more like the Kingdom.
      God doesn’t call us to be successful, but to be faithful. If we look at the big picture, it’s already over and we don’t need to be successful. Jesus died on the cross he was successful for us. It is finished. And if you think about it, how can we be successful? The only way to be truly successful is to be faithful. Through our faith, God will bring His own success. He will make us successful in whatever His will is. I think through this class and from watching this film, I know I am supposed to change how I’m living. Whether it’s stopping my mindless consumption, being part of a corporation that is about the world and not about me, or fighting to take down corporations that are killing God’s earth and adding to Satan’s Empire, I know I need to do something. I’m not sure what my next physical move will be, but I think we are called to be more faithful and prayerful and see what God wants us to do to further His Kingdom.

Review: http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/movies/23capitalism.html

1 comment:

  1. Wow--a great post, Bo. Thank you for sharing your frustrations and confusion. I especially appreciate the insight that "God doesn’t call us to be successful, but to be faithful." Has the rest of our class answered some of your questions...or complicated the issue even more?

    ReplyDelete