19 January 2009

Anberlin

I attended the Anberlin concert in the FAC Friday, January 16 hosted by Calvin College. The concert was heavily attended by people all across West Michigan, not just by Calvin College students, which made the concert more enjoyable and crazy at some points. The first several rows of seats were removed and a platform was put in creating a “mosh pit” in the front full of several hundred screaming fans. Although I only went to the concert to hear the music, I was entertained not only by the music, but also by the how the band performed and how the other fans interacted with each other.

I have known Anberlin for a long time and have been a fan ever since I heard their music. Their music has a wide variety of heavy rock to slow moving music. I enjoy everything they write, although the slower songs have a closer place in my heart.

Dealing with the empire side of things: Anberlin is not an openly “Christian” band. Their title does not carry the Christian name with it, however, that does not mean that they do not profess the lord’s name. Some say that because they do not have the Christian name attached that they are not good Christians or something like that. Some say that Anberlin is being taken in by the whole empire and because of that do not want to put the Christian label and be associated with Christians. This, however, is not true and is the complete opposite of what they are trying to do. Because they do not have the Christian title, they have more access to secular crowd and can have an influence on their lives.

On the Kingdom point of view: Anberlin uses the lyrics to portray its Christian perspective and tells of the struggles of life and how God is the only way. Since they just out into the Empire saying that they are like one of them and then, in the kingdom, they throw their Christian ways and actions. Throughout each of their songs, although they are not openly Christian in all of their songs, they are never vulgure in any of their songs. They remain positive throughout and several songs have Christian undertones.

I enjoyed the Anberlin concert and was edified throughout. I am glad that I attended and I would go again in a heartbeat.

1 comment:

  1. I also attended the Anberlin concert and agree with what Michael said. It is true that Anberlin is in the general or "secular" market, but this does not detract from their Christian character. I believe that because of their position in the general market, they can reach more people with their message, and I believe that they already are. Michael said it well when he says that while not all of their songs are overtly Christian, they all have messages that are hopeful and introspective, never allowing the nature of the empire to permeate them. I too am glad that I attended the Anberlin concert, and I agree with Michael when he says "I would go again in a heartbeat".

    ReplyDelete