19 January 2009

Anberlin

I went to the Anberlin conversation on last Friday before their concert. Anberlin is a rock band with Christian members, not a Christian rock band. They write a variety of songs from rock to slow and everything in between. I was expecting to stand in one of the rows of seats, but the pit was lowered and I was able to get right by the stage. Calvin had a sound crew come in to set up a system that would be more fitting for a concert of this style.
I was also able to go to the concert, but I want to focus on the conversation. I found this to be helpful in finding out what Anberlin is really about. One thing that caught my attention was how they chose to be a general market band not just a Christian band even though Christian music is the fastest growing music industry at 17%. They are trying to reach everyone that they can with their music. I fell that Anberlin is crying out for the Kingdom. They have made a conscience effort to reach as many people as they can with their music not try to get as much money as they can. Anberlin is trying to lead by example by doing what God has called them to do with their music not what they want to do. We need to do what God calls us to do weather it is what to major in or choosing a spouse.
I did not know much about Anberlin before Friday but that did not matter. I enjoyed both the conversation and the concert and I would love to hear more of their music live and talk to them about their music.

2 comments:

  1. I also went to the Anberlin concert last Friday. I agree that it is quite noteworthy that the band decided to go under a secular label, rather than a Christian one. However, I think that the band promotes the Kingdom more in what they do not do than in what they do do. In all of their songs they do not talk really talk about religious issues of any kind. Rather, they avoid talking about typical things that we would see in the Empire. You will never hear Anberlin degrade women, talk about drugs or alcohol, or sing about violence. They seem to have a deeper message in their music that is not usually seen in secular artists. I believe that this subliminal theme of hope and goodness does a great deal to subvert the Empire, even if it does not directly promote the Kingdom. This way, as you said, they can make a difference to both Christians and non-Christians alike. Anberlin shows that you do not have to explicitly sing about God to be a Christian musician.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many posts have mentioned that Anberlin is a band of Christians, not a Christian band, in that they've chosen not to market their music through the Christian music industry. Does their faith extend to any other aspect of their business as musicians? I'm thinking about their merchandise, for example--do they pay attention to where their shirts are made? Or do they attempt to tour in an environmentally friendly way? I appreciate that they're making music in the public square, but I'd be curious to know if their faith changes how they work in other ways, besides their lyrics.

    ReplyDelete