17 January 2013

Good Hair

John Jung
1/17/13
DCM

Good Hair

           
          For my film project I decided to do it on, Good Hair directed by Jeff Stilson. First of all I was interested in this film because Chris Rock was in it and second Im a Korean who used to spend minimum of twenty minutes a day to fix my hair and wax it. I would have to first wash my hair with shampoo, use a blow drier to dry my hair, wax it, spray it, and than dry it again. The film begins with Chris Rock giving an intro about how he's daughter came up to him after school saying "Daddy why don't I have good hair?" This was how Rock was inspired to research more about "What is Good Hair?" 
          Chris Rock went around everywhere looking for the answer of "Good Hair," and most of the answers that he got was bright and straight hair, just like an blonde American Hair. The film also showed what African American women would do to try to get the so called "good hair," such as putting relaxer on their hair since they were very young. Another part of the film was of him going to India to see where the wigs came from.
          This film was very interesting to me because there were so many things that I was shocked by. First of all, I always grew up envying people with curly hair, I always thought straight hair was so boring. Second was that they used relaxer which contained sodium hydroxide which I learned from chemistry that it is a very strong base which can burn your skin. Third thing was that if you see an African American with straight hair, it is not their own. Finally, that the hair came from all the way from India, which are sacrifices that were given from the females to their gods. I have learned so much from a very funny film and I have more respect for African Americans.
          This article in my opinion is very legitimate and I agree with what they say. It is true that we have pressure to conform to the fashion of today's world and it's good that Rock pointed it out. Another thing I like about this article is that it gives different points of views of the film and wraps it up for easy understanding. I highly recommend this video.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-10-22-good-hair-main_N.htm

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comments, John. I'm glad the film was enlightening for you and helped you appreciate the struggles of others.

    ReplyDelete