17 January 2010

The Mall: The Biggest Trap in America

I have been to Woodland Mall numerous times before, but after watching The Persuaders I was able to notice and point out things that I have never noticed before. The Persuaders made me realize that the mall really isn’t just a large building with an array of stores inside of it, it is much more complex. I always wondered why malls contained food courts. I would occasionally think to myself, “people are here to buy clothes, shoes, etc…not to eat!” It occurred to me that the reason why food courts and restaurants are placed in malls is to encourage the consumers to stay longer. While walking around the mall with my sister, we noticed that it was almost as if each store was in a competition with another one. The signs and advertisements for certain deals and specials caught your eye in every store, and the manikins in the display cases were always dressed in very attractive outfits which draws the attention of the consumers. One thing that I found amusing that never came to my attention before is that almost EVERY person that exits the mall, is leaving unsatisfied with what they have and they are wanting more. From the coffee stand located in the center of the mall; to the massage chairs lined up in a row, I have now realized that the mall is just a trap that producers have set up for consumers.

1 comment: