17 January 2010

WOodLand MALL

As I walked into Woodland Mall this afternoon, (yes, I know its a Sunday...call me a sinner if you want, I don't mind) I realized for the first time the background music that was playing throughout the malls walk ways. The music was very soothing and relaxing, it was classical music that puts a person in a good mood-the mood to shop. I also realized all the people walking around with coffee or food in their hands or some type of beverage as they walked passed windows and windows of "75% SALE" signs in huge red letters. This to me was very intriguing, it seems to me that American shoppers came to the mall as an activity, not as a necessity. This entertaining activity is almost like a game. While each person walks past a window, which ever window draws the consumer in and keeps them there the longest, enough to make them swipe their card or pull out their hard cold cash, wins. From personal experience, I fell into this manipulative trap not so long ago-Ok, to be honest it was yesterday. I walked into Charlotte Reuss and saw jeans that were $16.99. This was what was going on in my head: "$16.99!!!? That is so cheap! This is so worth the money and I need another pair of jeans!" Ah! I am ashamed to say that I gave in and bought those jeans that day and some more. I know, I know, you're probably thinking: "What was she thinking? Didn't she hear anything during class on Friday?" Trust me, I did. I just splurged because it tends to be therapeutic (which is a lie that the empire proclaims as truth), but I know that doesn't justify my actions. That is why I told my two friends about my addiction, shopping (I'm pretty sure I'm a shopaholic...And there is a movie called 'Confessions of a Shopaholic' that I can sadly really relate to.). After telling my friends my problem they laughed, really hard. But I wasn't satisfied with myself, so I told them that I needed them to keep me accountable to this promise I was going to make with myself, the promise to not purchase any type of clothing, accessory or anything else I can wear on my body until spring break of this year. Now, some of you classmates might be thinking that that isn't a very long time but I am determined to take it one step at a time. So if you see me drooling over a piece of clothing in the mall anytime before Spring break, feel free to slap me out of it and remind me of this promise I made with myself. Just kidding, don't slap me, please. :)

2 comments:

  1. Becky, I can totally relate to you about this. I have this mentality that whenever I go to the mall or shopping I have to buy something. It's something I don't even think about anymore...when I go to the mall I bring money with me in order to spend it. It doesn't matter what it is and that in 2 weeks I probably won't even wear it, I feel unaccomplished if I don't purchase anything, and I'm quite disappointed if I don't!

    I also buy based on my emotions. When I'm upset, I think "I just need to drive to Nordstrom and get a shirt and clear my mind." When I accomplish something I reward myself by buying clothes. When I'm in a good mood, all I want to do is go to the mall because it puts me in a better mood. I've realized how much my life revolves around shopping since taking this class. It truly is therapeutic for me, but I completely agree with you...it's what the empire, our society, makes us think. I love going to the mall alone (which is deemed scary among most young women) because it's a place where I feel relaxed and satisfied for the time I'm there. What most people call social time is my quiet and personal time...and I don't know what's worse! Either way, I'm kind of freaked out that I spend my time reflecting while at the mall...

    I really admire your decision to not buy anything. And believe me, I was like WHOAH until MARCH...that's a LONG time. I've also decided that I am not going to buy anything for a certain amount of time...I'm not really sure how long yet, but your decision to do this really inspired me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sinner! Just kidding ... you kind of asked it. :)

    Really, though, this is a great post. I really appreciate the vulnerability and honesty in your confession. And, given Meghan's response, it doesn't seem like you're the only one who feels this way.

    I'm glad to hear you've asked your community for support and I'll be interested to hear how your commitment goes. Please let us know if we can help at all!

    ReplyDelete