16 January 2012

Mall Trip

I made my pilgrimage to Woodland Mall this afternoon with a couple of friends from class. The first thing I noticed as I walked into Macy's were some of the advertisements. I can't remember the specifics, but a clothing product was advertised as giving the buyer freedom. A new line of women's make up was named Origins. I thought this ironic, as it likely promised that by applying makeup to your face you would somehow become more natural. As I walked out of Macy's and into the vast mall complex, a giant sign caught my eye. It read, "Exceptional Shopping." This reminded me of the shirt in our John Pahl reading which said, "True Shopping." They really want to sell us the idea that by shopping there we take part in something grander.

Walking through the long open halls in between stores I noticed more things that Pahl had also observed. While I didn't see water or fountains, I noticed the emphasis on light. The place beamed with it through the use of skylights and other techniques. It gave it an exuberant energy. Trees and other vegetation stuck out to me, and they created a pleasant environment. The many facets of the mall all worked together to create a happy environment and mood for the consumer. I think this contributes much to our love of malls as consumers. It's a very cool place, and I can see how we are easily lulled to sleep as consumers by its many attractions.

1 comment:

  1. Good observations, Chad, especially about the ironic makeup line: Origins.

    ReplyDelete