16 January 2012

The Mall

When I stepped foot in the mall as far as the eye can see I saw advertisements. Yes, they have been there the whole time, but this time i saw all of them trying to get me to buy something. Which is not a bad thing. These people want have to advertise to make money. I feel that trying to be prosperous is a good thing. But, the people there are another story. I have never seen so many rude people in one place, except for france. But I mean people were bumping into each other, then started yelling at one another to watch where your going, then seeing different cliques in the mall like the gossipers and then then the geeks going to the dungeon and dragons model store. Which is not a bad thing, I am not judging anyone. But it was enjoyable to watch none of the less, like a tv show. Any-who I really enjoyed seeing different advertisement techniques, like at the mac store. A giant I phone is following you around with a built in camera so you can see yourself. Thats how they lure you in, because its interesting. Plus it was fun to see all the food restaurants competing with one another. However there was nothing really there that was just for me. I know in the movie they said they advertise things that are just for you. But, alas nothing really caught my eye.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting observations, Gus. You approached the mall from the perspective of a detached observer ("like a tv show") and didn't get drawn in by anything "just for you." You seem to have a natural resistance to the messages being directed at you, but do you think everyone has the critical perspective to be able to resist? Is it fair for advertisers to promote their products right on the edge of deception or by encouraging consumers to desire an impossible ideal? I think we'd agree that consumers bear a portion of the responsibility, but what responsibility do companies and advertisers have in addition to making money?

    ReplyDelete