16 January 2012

Mall Visit

This weekend I went on a quest to Woodland mall with a couple friends. Being female, and being from Grand Rapids I was very familiar with this mall. It’s odd to go through a place that I have been so accustomed to and look at it through a different lens. I thought about what we had read in class by John Pahl. I really kept my eyes open for the flaws in this supposedly flawless environment. As the group of people I was in walked down the sparkly wings of the mall I kept my eyes peeled for the subliminal messages that were all around me. The entrances to the specific shops within the mall were very interesting. I noticed that most of the entry ways were very open, so much so that one could look all the way to the back of the store. This open-ness and spaciousness seemed to be a theme throughout the mall. Like Pahl mentioned in the article, malls really make an effort to make the mall very spread out and expansive. There were strategically placed ferns and other foliage to make the mall environment seem more serene. I also noticed the sculptures scattered around the area. All throughout the mall there were huge windows on the ceiling that let in a lot of natural light. I think that the shopping malls really aim to make things more natural and inviting to the costumers to make them part of the consumer cycle.

3 comments:

  1. I also noticed the spaciousness of the mall-- it was one of the first things that I took note of as I stepped into the mall. There were a lot of arches that made the ceilings more expansive, giving the mall a spacey, open feeling. I also noticed the amount of plants for the first time. They were everywhere! I agree, they definitely give the mall a more serene, natural and refreshing feeling. If it weren't for the natural light and foliage, I don't think the mall would be nearly as pleasant. People would probably get worn out of shopping a lot faster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, like you, being a girl I was also very accustomed to the mall and interested to how things were going to look different after the article we read and film we viewed in class. The spaciousness and greenery around the mall were some of the first things I took note of as well. To me, they almost gave the mall a peaceful feel, making me as a buyer more relaxed. This feeling enabled me to want to spend more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to notice the spacious feel, but also to pay attention to what it would take to get to the back wall of a store. Retailers arrange stores so that there are "obstacles" (displays) that you have to move around (and hopefully look at) as you move from point A to point B. As a retailer myself, I know this is a common practice. :) And in larger department stores, the paths that you're intended to take are clearly marked by tile walkways moving you through a series of carefully arranged displays.

    ReplyDelete