16 January 2012

The Mall

I'm not one to go to malls very often, but I have still been to my fair share of malls. The Woodland Mall is like any other mall I've been to. There are dozens of stores, some nice sitting areas, a food complex, and lots of people. Marketing and advertisements have always interested me. I am a huge commercial critic, and I have realized that I am most satisfied with commercials that are funny or that aren't trying to trick me. I mentioned in class how I hate Domino's commercials because they (as well as countless other companies) are pretty much telling me they think I'm an idiot because they think I can't see through their manipulative crap. On the other hand, my favorite commercials are the ones that I barely notice because I don't feel like I'm being tricked.

Going to the mall after watching the film in class made me notice something about myself. I noticed how much I don't notice ads. Walking down one hallway of the mall, I am bombarded with literally hundreds of ads and people trying to get me to buy their product because they have such good deals. Not until now have I actually realized how many ads there are, not just in the mall, but everywhere. The walls are covered in ads about their store. Inside each store is also covered with ads. The employees are even walking ads. They have shirts on that tell you about their store or even have deals on them. They are vocal ads as well. Almost anywhere you go in the mall - I went to Gamestop - the employees will try to get you to buy more. "You know if you buy this as well, you'll get this for free." That is so normal for people that no one ever thinks twice about it anymore. Normal shoppers are on such a routine that they seem to be programmed to get in, say not to additional offers, and leave. Not paying attention to ads is becoming more normal every day that, like the film said, there are more and more ads. There are better ads. Bigger ads. Soon enough it seems that every tile of the mall floor will be an ad. This is what malls - and the rest of the world - seem to be coming to.

No comments:

Post a Comment