15 January 2012

Rivertown Mall

Full of stores and pretty decorations, the mall has been a place of beauty to me. Going to the mall has always been a big part of my life. It's the spot where I've gotten all my clothing and all my gifts for my relatives. It has been an innocent way to spend my time. After reading the article by Jon Pahl and watching The Persuaders I went to the mall this past weekend with a different outlook.

I noticed more how the mall is set up to subtly draw you in. The mall is truly a captivating piece of architecture. In Rivertown Mall there is a giant window that replaces the ceiling in the main "intersection" of stores. The mall takes advantage of natural light. Not only is the natural light gorgeous, it also makes you feel like you are in a place that cannot be compared to any other location. The natural light makes you feel as though the mall deserves all of your time and attention. Another noticeable feature within the mall is the plant life. It may seem subtle but everywhere you look you can spot an exotic looking plant located near you. These plants send you a message. They symbolize life and peace. These plants send a message that tells one not to "count the cost", as Jon Pahl puts it. Before reading the article by Jon Pahl I would have never caught on to these things and I believe that is the mission of the mall.

The mall doesn't want you to think about what you are doing while you are there. After this weekend trip I decided to truly think about the mall and what it does to my heart and mind. I have not changed my opinion that the mall is a place of beauty. Although, after thinking more about what the mall can do to manipulate someone I have changed my mind on it's innocence. The mall always seemed like an innocent way to spend my time but buying all my clothes and gifts for relatives didn't seem so innocent after this past visit. Now I know that the feeling of, "I want to buy something" isn't coming from within, it's coming from the surroundings.

1 comment:

  1. "The mall always seemed like an innocent way to spend my time but buying all my clothes and gifts for relatives didn't seem so innocent after this past visit. Now I know that the feeling of, 'I want to buy something' isn't coming from within, it's coming from the surroundings." Good observations, Kassie.

    ReplyDelete