15 January 2012

Woodland Mall

I've lived in Grand Rapids for almost two years now, and Woodland Mall is basically the only mall I've ever known during my time here. There's nothing special about it. It's basically like every other mall I've been to. There's an Abercrombie store, a Footlocker, a Victoria's Secret, and a Sbarro's, just like any mall in the United States. But after reading John Pahl's article and watching The Persuaders, I found myself with an eerie vibe as I strolled through the mall which I had become so accustomed to. Everywhere you look, there's an example of advertisement and consumerism's effect on people. The Barnes & Noble store shovels out self help books for the unfulfilled masses. The Apple Store shows off it's overpriced technology for those who just "absolutely need" the newest iPhone, iPad, or Macbook. Every clothing store has an unrealistic image of how the typical male and female "should" look. And to top it off, everyone is sedated by the warm goodness of a Wetzel's Pretzel. After taking all this in, it dawned on me; I'm walking in the Empire's church. The mall is the house of worship, every advertisement is scripture, prayer is reduced to spending, and the people are the broken followers who look to be redeemed by their almighty savior: image.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a really good definition of the malls comarison to the church. I think the money we pay for our stuff could symbolize the offerings we pay in church. I have never thought about the advertisements as scriptures and now it totally makes sense!!

    ReplyDelete