13 January 2013

Good Hair

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-good-hair9-2009oct09,0,6172011.story

When I first signed up for the movie groups and heard that one of the documentaries had Chris Rock, I was like why not it has Chris Rock in it. However I was not expecting for the documentary to have a deep meaning along with it. In Chris Rock's "Good Hair", Rock is motivated to understand the importance of good hair within the African American community after his 5 year old daughter asked him why she didn't have good hair. Through out the film, Rock goes on a journey to Los Angeles, Atlanta, India and other places to know the origins of the products and causes for having 'good' hair. As  Betsey Sharkey accurately commented on her article, Rock has a witty way of stating the facts. As Rock notices and educates himself within the the hair industry, African American women will go through whatever it takes to make themselves have good hair. Yet as Rock interviews many artists, models, and actresses it seems  that the root of having good hair was started in the 1960s. Within the African American community there has always been a pressure of having 'white' hair; hair that is bouncy, light, and flawless. However throughout the documentary, all I could think about was all the pain these women have to deal with. I know that I too can be consumed with what I do with my hair as in straightening it or dying it a different color but I after watching this film I'm kind of scared of doing anything to it ever again. Yet because I am a woman I know that this might not happen because at the same time it has become an addiction.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your honesty, Patsy. I hope you'll continue to question what's responsible for setting the standard of beauty you aspire to.

    ReplyDelete