13 January 2013

Woodland Mall


I go to mall a lot. Almost every Saturday. The reason why I go there is I just want to escape from Calvin. Since I don’t have a car, Woodland mall is really good place to go by walk. So… I go there a lot but never paid that much attention to little things. The reading from John Pahl, it says little things like water, light, and the way how the mall is built. I tried to look more close to that. After I read that reading from John, made me think of  like oh,,,, this place can me really like a church for some people. All those things were different at me.

Since I watched the documentary “The persuaders”, I paid more attention to the advertisements. I really didn’t notice before I watch the documentary but this time when I looking at them, I felt like they are really persuading me to but things and even though I don’t really need that stuff that they are advertising, after I saw that ads, it made me think I need that stuff.

Not only those advertisements were persuading me, but also those were saying me to buy more and more like it was preaching. I just watched them with the different point of view after the reading and watching, each little thing gave totally different thoughts than before I went there many times.

It was good for me to go to the mall because I need to buy some cosmetic stuff. I have one thing that I had to buy but I was in the store for like thirty minutes. While I was in the store looking at the other stuff I didn’t really thought like what am I wasting time here because I was really in to what I was looking at. But after I get out from the store I realize that this is how the mall works because I bought more things than I neededJ.

This is really good time for me to think of mall different way. it was really good time.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your observations, Heesong. I'm glad the film and reading made you think differently about your "ritual" visits to the mall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like about how you mention how the advertisement make you feel like you need something, even though you know you don't. I also like how you compare it to preaching as if the mall was a church. I would always catch myself wasting hours in different stores even though I don't even need anything from the store. Well hopefully I would catch myself earlier now since I know more about advertisements and how I am so wick against it.

    ReplyDelete