13 January 2013

The Enchanting Castle of Woodland

At the wee hours of morning, 11:30 am, a group of friends and I went on your typical trip to the mall. Yet this time we went with an intended purpose. As we made our way around the 4 main sections of the mini mall, we noticed that most of the descriptions that were mentioned in Jon Pahl's third chapter, The Shopping Mall as "Stairway to Heaven," Leading Nowhere, were quite accurate. Some of the things that I saw that I did not notice before, that was mentioned in the chapter, were that the mall did not have any windows (unless they were the store's display windows), most of the lights were either through the skylights on the ceilings or artificial lights. Yet another thing that we noticed that was not mentioned in the chapter was the fact that most of the stores were either empty or had very little people in the stores themselves. It seemed as if most of the people were just at the mall to just be at the mall and  were also just walking around as if they had no purpose to be at the mall. Some of the ways that the mall persuaded the potential clients with their religious qualities were by having sales. Most of the stores that I personally seemed interested in were all stores that were having clearance sales. Even though I did look through many sales I still did not buy anything. Despite the fact that I am a broke college student that can barley afford a shoelace, the reason I did not buy anything was because I realized I had fallen into the trap. It was then that I realized that the mall does compete for my attention against the church. Although I am a believer and know what God is capable of doing with my life, I still at times give my loyalty to the mall due to its attractions. Even though the mall has its pros it also has its cons and we as believers need to realize this so we don't give into the trap of materialism and instead focus on what God wants us to do.

2 comments:

  1. It is indeed interesting that all of these shops can so easily entice us with sales of all sorts. And at the same time it seems like they always have sales. Begging the question, do they mark up the prices of the merchandise so much so that when they have sales, they can still profit from it? And I like your note on how there are not much people inside the stores at the time that you were there. If they were not inside stores checking out things or buying them, what else is enticing them to go to the mall even if they were not there to buy things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your observations, Patsy. It made me think about the manipulation of emotions--what does it say about us if we long to go to the mall, while we go to church only because we feel like we have to? It's sad if the mall is doing a better job of presenting an attractive lifestyle than the church...

    ReplyDelete