13 January 2013

King C... Christ or Consumerism?


“I feel happy when I go to the mall because I get to buy the things that I need.” This is what someone said when I asked, “what do you feel when you go to the mall?” Change the words “mall” for “church” and “buy” with “heal” or “reflect” and you will see that indeed the mall and the consumerist system is trying to use our human need for God and twist it into a constant fulfillment of desire (The Persuaders). Obviously people cannot feel that they are being controlled by those media makers; in other words, they cannot realized they are inside “the Matrix”.
When I was at the mall I asked some people if they thought that there was anything religious about the mall, these were their answers:
-      - No, not that I can think off.
-     -  No
-      - No
-     -  No, you? (I answered yes, consumerism is a religion; he said, “interesting” )
-     -  No
-    -   No (after a while she changed her mind) yes, there is community
Do you see a common factor on these answers? Not a lot of people reflect on what they do, we do not ask “why?” We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented” (The Truman Show) because it is the most comfortable way to live, it is also the way society has been teaching us to live since the beings of society. That is precisely why we love the mall so much, because the guilt you are supposed to feel while you are not being able to cope with reality (although you should) is gone, cup-caked by the feeling that you need this and that because you need it you are making a smart choice by buying it. We think, “I am not being controlled, I make my own choices” but those “sale” signs are not really smart choices as we think, but more “you are naïve enough to fall for this.”
How does all of this related with the church? In every way, but churches are smart choices. At least in my hermeneutic situation, Christianity is our way to step out of “Seahaven” (The Truman Show). As Jon Pahl pointed out, malls use every characteristic about a church to give a “spiritual” atmosphere, a you-are-not-doing-anything-wrong-by-consuming-everyhting-you-like place to persuade buyers to join this religion. The church helps us be aware of King Consumerism to discover that real happiness can only be felt in Christ.
Obviously part of the problem is the society we live in; it has been slowly structured in a way that expects us to consume (for economic reasons, for social standards and for human “necessities”). But we have to remember we are society. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting experiment, Sin Hee, and I love your graphic. :) I especially appreciate your observation that "obviously part of the problem is the society we live in; it has been slowly structured in a way that expects us to consume.... But we have to remember we are society."

    ReplyDelete