18 January 2010

The Mall as Temple of Worship







As per our Jon Pahl reading, I was particularly interested in the architecture of the mall. The vaulted, ribbed ceilings were vaguely reminiscent of the gothic cathedrals of Europe. The trees were indeed evergreen, and in the center of the mall was a collection of huge skylights.

The marketing was also overwhelmingly present, of course. I took a photo of myself with my 2-year-old daughter juxtaposed against the edgy sexual photos of Victoria's Secret, to show the ideals of beauty and the human body as defined by the culture. I took the Apple-store photo to show the idea of "clutter," as the window display attempts to show the many "app" icons. And finally in the heart of the temple is Starbucks, where everyone can come and partake of the cup of life ;-).

1 comment:

  1. Note: the creepy faceless guy behind the two "realistic-looking" Apple employees glowing in the front window.

    ReplyDelete