18 January 2010

Mall Post

My visit to woodland mall was extremely fascinating, especially after seeing the film “The persuaders” last class session. I saw numerous advertisements throughout the mall in the windows of shops, on numerous bulletins, and on the sides of a variety of kiosks. In some stores, I noticed how colorful certain advertisements were and how eye-catching they could be to the average person. Other advertisements were larger and not easily missed. Others appeared to be geared towards particular groups such as women or young children. I was especially drawn towards stores that had sporting related items displayed outside of them. Since the items were so easily accessible in that I could see them up close and touch/hold them, I discovered that a variety of stores do the same thing and that people were more likely to shop at stores where they could easily access the items that they were potentially going to by. One of example of this was the Lids outlet store, where they sell hats that had a variety of professional sports teams logos on them. They had hats in the display cases on and behind the counters, but they also had them in racks outside of the store for the average person to come up and try them on. Overall, I was very impressed with the creativity of the advertisements and ads throughout the mall. I became more attentive to the diversity in the kinds of ads one encounters in a typical trip to the mall, and that it’s obvious why people are drawn more easily than they actually realize

1 comment:

  1. I noticed you had a sharp hat on this week, Scott. Any chance the easily accessible racks you noticed on this trip caught your fancy (and your dollars)? ;)

    ReplyDelete