18 January 2010

Meghan Murphy Mall

When I walk into Woodland, I immediately notice the chaos. It's packed. There are screaming children all over the place and groups of 13-year-olds in every corner. I also realize how much I can't stand this mall. First, for selfish reasons. I couldn't get over the fact that it was so small and how there are "like no stores." This is slightly messed up, I can admit. The fact that I am thinking "my mall is better than your mall" is odd. Comparing clothes is bad enough, but comparing malls? I never realized how twisted that mentality is. Anyways, the amount of people at the mall really struck me as well. Why are there so many people here, could they all possibly be coming here because they need something? I also notice that pretty much none of the people are alone. There are moms pushing strollers, boyfriends and girlfriends holding hands, middle school and high school groups of girls...it appears to be the social event of the weekend. And why wouldn't it be? People bond over buying clothes. They discover their style, what they relate to, what speaks to their tastes. After watching the Persuaders, I can recognize how much time and detail is used to design a mall. The mall has all things that are good. Everyone can enjoy the mall. There is a variety of restaurants and food options to choose from for the men, a play area for the kids, and of course the many different stores that are aimed at women. I also notice a Starbucks, which is conveniently placed in the middle of the mall. I doubt that was a mistake.

I continued to think about the play area for kids. Aside from the fact that it was a headache to even look at, it was a great, yet sick, tactic to use in order to ingrain that the mall=fun into the minds of children. The mall is where these kids can play. So right away, at the age of 5, kids are already associating trips to the mall as fun, a great idea. And a step up from 15 years ago, I never got to play in a jungle gym at the mall. I sat in a stroller for hours as my mom shopped. However, I did recall one thing about the mall back then. There was a store that had a talking tree. Yes, this tree was pretty tall, it opened and closed it's eyes and said things. I can remember everything about this tree, and the last time I saw it was probably when I was 5 years old. I'm sure going to the mall when I was younger was not something I was overly excited about, however the talking tree was something to look forward to. I'm not sure if the talking tree is why I love shopping today, but the fact that I can remember it says enough.
The other interesting thing about the play area is the fact that everything is made out of food. Along with being surrounded by cookie and smoothie shops, it's subconsciously telling the kids that they are hungry. Another reason to be excited about the mall, you get to play and eat junk food, and the stores benefit from the parents buying the products. The play area alone reveals something about American society. The mall is a place to socialize, make yourself happy, eat, and have fun. It is like a sanctuary. And I'm sure companies flourish in malls, because malls have just about everything one needs.

1 comment:

  1. Great insights, Meghan--and thanks for your "confession." :) I remember loving to go to The Children's Place at our local mall because they had a big, weird, carpeted play area. I can still hear the sounds in my head of kids thumping around the carpet-covered wooden platforms and slides. And how convenient: the kids are occupied, so mom (and dad) can shop til they drop. And the reward for such good behavior: pretzels all around from Hot Sam's. Interesting how these experiences and places embed themselves into our stories and become part of our identities. I always feel a desire to treat myself to a snack when I'm at the mall--Cinnabon or Auntie Anne's... It's part of the nostalgic place occupied in my memory (and literally in my body) by those pretzels.

    Check this out.

    ReplyDelete