16 January 2013

Good Hair

For my film assignment, I watched the movie Good Hair. Not only was it highly informative about the extent that women, mainly black women, go to to have "good hair," it was also slightly disturbing as a guy, and as a human being in general. Why these women feel the need to go to such lengths to have what is defined as "good hair" is beyond me. Before watching the movie, I had no idea that such things as relaxer or weaves even existed, I knew about hair extensions and I believed that was the extreme of extremes that women go to for their hair...never was I more wrong. I found it difficult to believe that women go so far as to sew another persons hair onto their head so that they could have what is culturally defined as "good hair." Personally, I feel deceived as a guy. The first thing I did upon learning this was to look at the girls around me and immediately inquire wether or not their hair was actually theirs. As far as making a life change because of this movie, I see very little I could possibly do. I personally have nothing against the natural hair of black women, and find it attractive on them. Wherever this cultural mandate came from that their hair is unattractive is unbeknownst to me, and I can assure you that I will do my best to try and change it.

2 comments:

  1. I find it very interesting that you felt deceived as a guy finding out all these things. I never really thought about it from a guy's perspective, thinking that having beautiful hair mostly pertained to women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments, Luke. As men, I think we can expand our definition of what we find beautiful. This won't necessarily have an impact on the beauty industry, but it might over time. It's always amazing to me how much control men have over the beauty industry and how we end up shaping our culture's standards for beauty. Thankfully this is in the process of changing, but there is still much systemic work to be done.

    ReplyDelete